You will learn how to utilize the latest version of AutoCAD and 3-D parametric software programs to complete mechanical and/or architectural drawings to industry specifications. You will utilize the latest Rapid prototype technology that allows you see your designs come to reality in a short amount of time.
Look what you can learn in the Drafting CAD Program:
- skills you can use in real-life experiences (design/draw your own home)
- design products that can be used in everyday products (concept to reality)
- create industry and technically correct drawings using ANSI standards
- work on community projects that are challenging and rewarding
- skills required to make college level work easier
- improve applied math skills (related to drafting CAD)
- employability or soft skills required to excel in the field
Emphasis is placed on developing the skills you will need for your future as a mechanical OR architectural drafter.
Major Career Opportunities for graduates of the Drafting CAD Technology program include:
- Detail CAD Operators
- Design Layout CAD Operators
- Product Engineers
- Plant/Facility CAD Operator
Employment Outlook & Wages
With the current condition of the economy, entry-level Drafting CAD employees are hard to find. This is good for students entering the field. Beginning salaries start at$11.00 an hour and go as high as $15.00 per hour.
Since Drafting CAD operators are an essential part of any product being designed or developed, the demand in this field will remain strong. Locally, an abundance of Modular Housing, Furniture, Cabinet, and other manufacturing companies makes the local demand for these positions very positive. The experience in CNC programming will give students entry-level exposure to an automated manufacturing process.
Opportunities are also available in the Civil Drafting areas.
Higher Education Opportunities
Students enrolled in Drafting CAD Technology have the opportunity to earn the following college credits while attending SUN Tech thanks to Penn College PCNow:
|CAD118||Comprehensive 2D Applications||3 Credits|
|CCD101||Technical Drawing I||3 Credits|
|CCD102||Detailing I||3 Credits|
|ACH116||Introduction to Computer Aided Drafting||1.5 Credits|
|ACH118||Architectural Computer Aided Drafting||1.5 Credits|
The Drafting CAD Technology program prepares students to continue their education at a variety of two-year and four-year colleges and technical schools. This can save money and time and give you a jump-start on your career. At SUN, we give the students the basic principle in a well-rounded environment, but once they graduate from SUN, they need to get more specific training on a particular field. Once employed, most employers offer Higher Education Reimbursement Plan (normally up to 80%) for their employees to further develop themselves within the CAD Engineering fields.
Following are just some of the possibilities our students have attended for advanced training in the Drafting CAD Technology field:
- Pennsylvania College of Technology, PC Now credits, 9.0 Mechanical, 3.0 Architectural
- ITT (Nationwide)
- Lincoln Technical Institute (Allentown, PA)
- Thompson Technical Institute (Carlisle, PA)
- York Technical Institute (York, PA)
- Technical Schools in all branches of the military
- The University of Advanced Computer Technology (Phoenix, AZ)
Business & Industry Certifications
Drafting CAD Technology can help you obtain the following business and industry certifications:
Learn skills in Drafting CAD that you will use the rest of your life whether on the job in an office or in a manufacturing environment, on a construction site or designing your own home. You will also have the opportunity to earn dual enrollment college credits while completing the Drafting CAD program.
You must possess the desire to learn with a strong work ethic. If you are not afraid of hard work this may be the program for you. See your guidance consular to arrange a visit.
|Inventor 3D / Rapid Prototype||20|
|Inventor 3D / Rapid Prototype||30|
|Inventor / Rapid Prototype||90|